Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Practicing Distractions

Source: Urban Parenting Magazine
Nomophobic: The fear of being without cell service.

I've got gadgets and gizmos a-plenty
I've got whozits and whatzits galore
        You want thingamabobs?
               I've got twenty!
              But who cares?
                  No big deal
                 I want more



I don't think Disney had our current state of being in mind when this song was written. But take a look around you. In restaurants, at the bus stop, in line at the state fair - everywhere you go you'll find someone on their cell phone or practicing some other form of distraction; 


We always have to be doing something! 
You're doing something right now- reading this blog, perhaps you're even on your cell phone. 

I challenge you to stop practicing distractions. Take the time to enjoy your kids- be there, be ALL there. Enjoy empty moments of time. Don't think you have any free time? You just might find some by taking on this challenge. For 48 hrs- when your dinner date goes to the ladies room, don't tweet. When you find yourself in line at Starbucks, don't try to beat the next level of candy crush. When the kids have gone to bed and the last one's made her last "peep", don't check your Facebook, or your email, or even your missed calls. Breathe in the silence. 

My son (6) and I were driving home from Prescott the other day and he discovered his Nintendo DS wasn't charged. He asks me "mom, can I play on your phone" which I denied him. "Mom, do we have a coloring book?" and we didn't. "What am I supposed to DO?!" he exclaimed. I told him to just chill, enjoy the view, relax. He matter-of-factly replied, "Mom, kids these days don't know how to chill."  

Chill out and enjoy the Journey of Life. 










What distractions are you prone to practice? ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact info

Jennifer Valencia | Labor & Postpartum Doula | 928.300.1337

Calendar

Blog Directory