Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Thank you!!

Thank you to all who participated in the survey for my ethnography project of routine infant circumcision in America!!
Thank you!
Thank you!
Thank you!

This was an anonymous survey designed to determine the beliefs and understanding of American parents surrounding Routine Infant Circumcision. Some people left their names and/or contact information and some of you did not. I will begin with just a couple responses to some of you I was just dying to chat with and so wish I had the opportunity!


To the Catholic Mother in Iowa

I apologize for the "loaded question". I too raise my children in church and send them to a religious school. I have yet to meet resistance, and if I do, I suppose I will pray.
When I was first presented with the question "When does the right to religious freedom begin?" I wasn't really sure how to answer it. My beliefs boil down to a desire to raise my children right by God; bringing them up in the church, which appears that I don't believe they have the freedom of religion choice yet. My religion asks of me to share Christ's love and so I do. But what about bodily integrity? Where do we draw the line with this? Someone else who answered this survey put it perfectly :
Each individuals religious freedom ends when it negatively effects another person.
Another response I can relate to would be in regards to when a person understands and can make [religious] choices.

So what of the Jewish faith?


Judaism and circumcision, an alternative option: Brit Shalom 

and to the Jewish mother who described, "Spirituality is something you experience with your heart and your head. (Water and air) but to be Jewish one must also experience Jewishness with your body- the earth- and this is where circumcision comes in."
Thank you for your perspective and beautiful description.

Mother's of regret

I feel for you and I'm sorry. For me, "when you know better, you do better" feels a bit rough, but the unabridged version comes with more compassion. The sad truth is, when I knew better...

To the man seeking foreskin resotration

You Rock! I hope someday you can share your experience with those around you who want to know more.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 
There are so many others that I'm sure I could sit here and respond all day long! Thank you all so much for your responses. I continue to read them and learn from them day after day and they continue coming in. But without further ado, here are the results of the survey,

Routine Infant Circumcision in America: A Meta-ethnography.


Did you miss the survey? Take it here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact info

Jennifer Valencia | Labor & Postpartum Doula | 928.300.1337

Calendar

Blog Directory